Fun Fact: Pie’s were the way I stole my husband’s heart. Before we dated I would bring pies into work and when he ate my apple pie he knew I’d make him happy for the rest of his life;) He’s been asking me to make another one for a couple years now so I insisted on going to Scott’s Orchard in Hazel Green. Besides, is there a better fall date than picking our own apples at the orchard and then going to the farm store and buying your own fruit trees? I think not.
I have followed different recipes before but I eventually started changing things out and making my own perfect recipe that tastes better and is easier than all those recipes I followed before. The biggest things that made a difference was store bought crust (makes it faster and tastes better), and using various different types of apples.
- 8 Apples (various types, see above)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pillsbury Premade Refrigerated Pie Crusts, 2 Count *this requires your own pie dish*
- 1 Egg Yolk
TIP: I typically peel all the apples first, then cut an apple in quarters before cutting out the cores, and then I half each quarter, ending with 8 slices from each apple. If I remove a significant amount of bad spots, then I’ll add in a 9th apple.
- Peel, core, and slice apples (and remove any bad spots)
- Pour lemon juice over apples in large bowl as you slice
- Preheat oven to 375o F
- Add in sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and then stir well (I just put the lid on my mixing bowl and shake until its mixed well).
- Add in butter and mix again.
- Rub cold butter over entire inside of pie dish (don’t spray with cooking spray, cold butter works better).
- Lay first pie crust in dish, lightly pressing it into the edges. using a fork, poke several holes in bottom of crust.
- Pour in apple filling mixture
- Place the 2nd pie crust on top, pinching the edges into the bottom layer of crust
- Cut small vent holes where ever you like in the top pie crust (I like to do a simple cross in the middle).
- Lightly brush egg yolk over pie crust
- Optional: sprinkle sugar on crust for a sweeter top crust
- Once preheated, place on center rack in oven for 50 minutes (or until crust looks golden
- let cool for 10-15 mins before slicing
That’s it! It’s that simple. Post your apple pie pictures to Instagram and tag me @sweetlytaylored. I want to see all the apple pie goodness!